1. The Cider House Rules (1999): This is almost a coming of age type of drama movie. It focuses on the Protagonist, Homer Wells who is an orphan. The orphanage is not the traditional horrible orphanage, but a rather nice and warm one. The orphanage is run by two nurses and a gynecologist who teaches Homer his surgical skills. The doctor actually is like a father figure. After a couple decades of living in the orphanage, Homer leaves it with a young couple and moves to live there. The young man leaves to serve in the army, but Homer can't because of an alleged heart condition. Nonetheless, during Homer's stay, he experiences life with its' ups and downs, love and heartbreak, family, racism, etc. Eventually, Homer will choose between continuing to live the mystery life of the outside world, or to go back to the familiar world he grew up in and take the role of the Doctor.
This movie features Tobey Maguire, Charlize Theron, Michael Caine, and some others.
2. An Education (2009): This drama is truly a coming of age one. It talks about how deep a young dreamy girl can go and how much she can believe once her vision is clouded by a man who seems to provide her with all that she wants, and seems to feed her interests in culture, music, travelling, art, and theater. It also addresses the issues of what can a woman do, what is expected of a woman, and what is a woman to expect during a certain time in the past, as well as how much is a woman allowed to question different concepts. This movie is rich with the most beautiful soundtracks as well.
This movie Features Carrie Mulligan, Peter Sarsgaard, Emma Thompson, and some others.
3. Legends of the Fall (1994): This is a war/drama/romance movie that talks about how the life of three brothers will change as a young woman arrives to their home, as well as the outbreak of war, racism, the wilderness, and inevitably, love. This movie is very emotional, and there are moments that get me to tears every time I watch this. The one thing I do not particularly like about this is that the woman is depicted as the most frail and unfaithful character in the movie.
This movie features Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins, Aidan Quinn, Julia Ormond, and some others.
4. What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993): This movie talks about the life of a Gilbert who is the older brother in a family where the father is either dead or has deserted them (I cant remember), the mom is obese and cant leave the house, the younger brother is mentally retarded, and Gilbert is responsible of keeping the family together. Gilbert not only provides for the family, but he must maintain their dignity, as well as his own, without making them feel like they're a burden on him.
This movie features Johnny Depp, Leonardo Di Caprio, and some others.
5. Simon Birch (1998): This movie talks about the friendship of two young boys, one of which never knew who his father was, and the other was born with a health condition, he was and always will be smaller than his peers. However, that small boy does not think his condition is a curse, he thinks its a blessing, and that God has created him that way for a purpose, he is a miracle and he is God's instrument.
This movie features Jim Carrey, Ashley Judd, Oliver Platt, and some others.
6. Angela's Ashes (1999): This is an autobiographical movie that follows the life of Frank Mccourt and his family in Ireland during a starvation epidemic, poverty, unemployment, death, as well as the upcoming war. This is truly a tragic movie that is full of unfortunate events.
This movie features Emily Watson, Robert Carlyle, and some others.
7. Snow Falling on Cedars (1999): This movie follows the investigation and trial of a Japanese American Fisherman who is accused of murder during times of racism and prejudice, yet love and loyalty.
This movie features: Ethan Hawk, Yuki Kudo, and some others.
8. Mystic River (2003): This movie talks about three childhood friends who get reunited due to a tragedy, and must face old unfortunate incidents they've gone through as kids.
This movie features Kevin Bacon, Sean Pinn, Tim Robbins, and some others.
9. The Painted Veil (2006): This movie talks about a married couple of a Doctor and a rich lady who discover that one of them is cheating on the other, and the consequences are that they're forced to move to a Chinese village to help with a cholera epidemic.
This movie features Naomi Watts, Edward Norton, Liev Schreiber, and some others.
This Movie Features Charlize Theron, Penelope Cruz, Stuart Townsend, and some others.
to be continued...